Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 9: Wednesday: Craft day

Wednesday: Craft Day

I've been working a couple projects this week and it's why I've been too busy to post. First I wanted to make something I saw on pinterest. It's a new marker board calender. I made two different backgrounds and would like your help deciding which to put up. Please vote by leaving a comment!
Here is a step by step:

Step 1: framing the calender
For both the first step is to get a picture frame and draw a table for the calender, making sure to write it backwards, so that when you flip it you can read it the right way. That way when you clean off the erasable marker you don't erase your calender table.

















Step 2: painting
Pick a pattern you really like.
I drew out a pattern using my ruler as a guide and then hand drew over it. Then I painted it the colors I wanted. If you struggle with colors here is a color generator to help with color combinations. (http://colorschemedesigner.com/)


















Step 3: assembly
Put your painting in the frame and take a look:

Finished look a personalized marker board.


Next, I didn't really like this painting after all was said and done. It was a little too dark to make notes on and the pattern was a little distracting.
So I made another background.










Background 2: paper cuttings:
I cut out big flowers and cut them into smaller pieces and hot glued all the little pieces down.


I think I like this second one better. Comment and tell me what you think!!


Next:  I've been working on Isaac's birthday party. He's turning 8 and wants a Jurassic Park birthday, but we decided that's a little too specific and it's just going to be dinosaurs. So here's my story board for that:

I've ordered masks this time instead of spending hours making them but the hats I will make as well as some sort of invitation.

We're also going to make fossils, I bought some plastic dinos to mush into the clay.



I also ordered this:
it's a 29 inch inflatable velociraptor:

I think I might order a few more. Just for extra dino fun!


















Also this week I got a new office chair. I have been sitting in a dinning room chair and they are not very comfortable after about 1/2 an hour. I went to Ikea with my sister (leahjentphotography.com) and bought this:
It's really comfy and cute; and it was on sale! Bonus.

Well that's all I have for now. Next week. I may take some  pre-photos of my bathroom redo. And hopefully get out my new oil paints and make something. *crosses fingers*

See ya next Wednesday for more crafts. :)

ps. Don't forget to comment about the marker board. Help me choose.

3 comments:

Nichole P said...

I like the second one. The purple one is a bit dark I think it might be hard to read stuff over it. :)

Nichole P said...

If its ok I might make a few of those for my store Nichole Style.

SarahKing said...

Nichole: yeah completely, I got them from pinterest. And they are super cute and you can make them a million different ways. The one on pinterest they just put fabric in frame! easy.